Improving Lives and Our Community for 78 Years
The Wenatchee Welfare Federation was started on April 1st, 1939, as a community, volunteer led, fundraising organization. Original officers were Mr. Clarence Johnson, president; Mrs. J.W. Hungrate, vice president; and Mr. Russell Congdon, secretary/treasurer. A professional fundraiser from Portland, Oregon was hired with an objective with an objective to raise $20,000.
However, the Federations name was confusing to local residents and within four months the name changed to Wenatchee Co Camp Fire and the YMCA. We operated under the name Wenatchee Community Chest until 1956, when we charted as a non-profit corporation under the name of United Good Neighbors, commonly referred as UGN.
In an effort to tie into the nationally recognized and publicized name of United Way, the membership approved a name change proved a name change to United Way of Greater Wenatchee in 1974. Given the fact that member agencies were providing services throughout the Chelan and Douglas counties region the membership unanimously approved a name change to Unite. Whatever the name, our mission has always been to mobilize the resources of our community, and we have been doing that since 1939.